How We Grade Our Walks
It is easy to overestimate fitness levels, particularly if you are not used to track walking and hills. Waiheke is hilly and very steep in places. Most walks during the Festival will have a lot of up and down and there will often be steps. Please be mindful of this when you are considering which walks you will register for.
Each walk has been graded out of ten. The grading reflects the type of terrain and walking surfaces you can expect.
- 1 or 2 out of 10: These walks will be short and flat, think gentle beach or footpath walking.
- 3 or 4 out of 10: usually road or very well formed track, may have some narrow or muddy stretches.
- 5 or 6 out of 10: off-road walking track, possibly narrow or muddy stretches and steep sections.
- 7 or 8 out of 10: mostly unformed route or tracks that are tricky underfoot, prolonged steep hills – but well worth the effort.
- 9 or 10 out of 10: more of above!
We err on the side of caution with description and finishing times for walks.